Friday, November 20, 2009

There Is a Hole in My Sidewalk, By Portia Nelson

I was first introduced to this poem last year and I had really forgotten about it and then it came to my ears two days in a row this week....I want to share. What do you think??? Watch out for holes!!!


Chapter One
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost…I am helpless.
It isn’t my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter Two
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend that I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I can’t believe I am in this same place.
But, it isn’t my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter Three
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep whole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in…it’s a habit…but,
My eyes are open
I know where I am
It is my fault.
I get out immediately,

Chapter Four
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

Chapter Five
I walk down another street.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh wow. I love this poem. It speaks volumes to me right now. Thank you for introducing it to me. I am finding myself on another street... not knowing how exactly I got here. Now I know.

I been remembering the wonderful Bible studies at your home years ago. I remember announcing to all my friends that I was having twins.... and look where we are (five years) later. God is so great.... isn't He?

Thanks again for sharing this.

Janet Jergins said...

I love this poem and have used it in counseling sessions for years! I lost my copy, so I am glad to see it again!

The Frenches said...

What a beautiful and simple way to express what each of us go through countless times in life. Thank God for the lessons learned and the growth in each step and for being with us in each one. Thank you for sharing!! You all have a beautiful Thanksgiving!!