Friday, September 9, 2011

A Tiny Book in the Bible -- Obadiah

As I continue my study and reading of the minor prophets - Obadiah comes up. Abandon Pride is the title of the chapter. My ears perk up because this is a sin I have been aware of in my life.

"Pride is the urge to stand alone, to stand above all else. It inevitably crowds other people into an increasingly small space; it blinds one to the value of God. Pride is the natural enemy of faith." Dan Schmidt, Unexpected Wisdom.

In Obadiah 3-4..."The pride of your heart has deceived you,
you who live in the clefts of the rocks[a]
and make your home on the heights,
you who say to yourself,
‘Who can bring me down to the ground?’
Though you soar like the eagle
and make your nest among the stars,
from there I will bring you down,”
declares the LORD."
-- WOW! That is a scary thought..

"Come follow me"...what does that assume??? The author reminds me, there is one ahead of me -- above me, Jesus Christ! I am not the leader of my life. We know that but do we act on that? In pride, we somehow think we know best, we are in control, the boss. How is it that we can really think that??

I Peter 4:11 Anyone who speaks should speak words from God. Anyone who serves should serve with the strength God gives so that in everything God will be praised through Jesus Christ. Power and glory belong to him forever and ever. Amen.

Ephesians 4:1-2 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Matt 20:26-27 But it should not be that way among you. Whoever wants to become great among you must serve the rest of you like a servant. Whoever wants to become first among you must serve the rest of you like a slave.

A servant, so grateful for the service they can give, not wanting recognition but wants to please the master. If we are to walk with Jesus, servanthood can not be looked past. It is the way of life Jesus showed to use as an example. We know how to live because we watch HIM and we are letting Him transform us into His likeness!

No comments: