Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"Life takes a bit of time and a lot of relationship." (p92, The Shack)

Howdy out there in blogland. This is my first post. Daniel got this going, and I guess I need to be supportive. What I want to post about are my thoughts as I read the book, The Shack.

The women of the Hope church of Christ, our new church home, joined Rachel Landolt and I for a discussion of the book. There were 16 of us enjoying tea and coffee while talking about our thoughts. We hope to start a new book soon. Try this in your circle.

Our good friends here in Abilene, Mitzi and Foy Mills gave the book to us as a gift for Christmas 2007. It took me until March of ‘08 to finish it b/c I wanted to journal as I read and process what I was reading. So much to say, but I will first say that my experience spiritually growing up was one of relationship. Doctrine was not the big end of all ends. Relationship was. So to walk through Mac’s (character in the book) journey of meeting Papa, the Spirit, Jesus, and a character representing wisdom was a very natural introduction of human meets God. One of the most rewarding experiences in life for me is to watch the journey of a person getting to know Christ, witnessing their acceptance of the blood sacrifice that God demands and supplies for sin, and encouraging them to let the Spirit guide them. I enjoy this process in my own life. So to walk along inside Mac’s mind and heart through this journey was very captivating.

What part of the Trinity do I feel the closest to?? I realized I felt more drawn at times to Jesus, but then realized it is the Spirit who speaks to me and guides me each day.

John 14:16-17 “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor (Helper) to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth….He abides in you and will be with you.”

I also realized the part of my personality that doesn’t want to miss out on anything and that is how I feel about the trinity. I want to take it all in, my walk with each. I like to feel God relates to me in my humanness. I feel there was much about free will and I love the fact that God gives us free will. Parenting has helped me understand free will a bit more. What do I actually want to do??? -- when and for how long do I desire to be with God in my daily life on earth??

More in my next post!
Cathie


Check out John Mark Hicks ministries and enjoy much deeper thoughts on The Shack than I can convey, but so felt as I read the book.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah, so i wish i had brought our copy with us to CR. i will have to finish it in Peru. thanks for your thoughts. love. alison