Saturday, May 23, 2009

Don't calculate without God

As i read alison's latest blog tonight, i teared up. Later i journaled so i could process and really understand why i cried. Then I picked up a study i'm going back thru -- a study on the book of James, Course Setters, Kym Hindt. I would like to share some of the thoughts from this because it was such an encouragement to me. God's ways are so much higher than ours and so as we read His Word we have much deeper spiritual thoughts than would just naturally come from our own thoughts.

"Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." I think a lot of times one of the temptations that crops up is that we calculate without God in the picture. We know He is there but we project into the future and don't take in account all of God's activity and how it rarely turns out how we think it will.

Ps. 119:32 I shall run the way of Your commandments,
For You will enlarge my heart. (NAS)

Ps. 119:32 I pursue the way of Your commands,
for You broaden my understanding. (HCSB)

In the first chapter of James we are encouraged to endure...it is God who enlarges our hearts, broadens our understanding and gives us the power, His power to endure. When we are in a crisis we must take care of our faith. It is not our feelings that will carry us thru but our confidence that comes from our relationship with God. The knowledge we have of God's character, no matter what our situation is.

Ps. 16:11 In your presence is fullness of JOY!! (go read that whole chapter, it is the best!!)

Our faith will be tested and then confirmed and that will benefit each of us. We will be affirmed in our walk as we go thru all of these situations. God is faithful, we know that to be truth!! We are developing endurance as we go thru trials so we are ready for opportunities in the kingdom that God has prepared for each of us. The author reminds me, the more difficult the battle, the sweeter the victory. I know this to be true!!

He wants us to be perfect, complete, lacking in nothing -- sounds like spiritual maturity to me. His answer to gaining spiritual maturity is asking for wisdom, figuring out not how to get out of the trial but how to endure it. Wisdom - having spiritual insight during our difficulties especially. God is that perfect parent who is anxious to help when His children ask. (Prov. 2:2-6, Matt. 7:7-11, Ps. 81:10) We must believe and have a trusting heart. And last but NOT least having a spirit of humility.

I love this song, it is one Janie Bason taught us how to sign. It makes my heart beam!!

Give thanks with a grateful heart,
Give thanks to the Holy One,
Give thanks because He's given
Jesus Christ His Son.

And now let the weak say "I am strong."
Let the poor say "I am rich."
Because of what the Lord has done
for us
Give thanks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, enjoyed your reflections. We are studying Proverbs here on Sunday mornings. Thanks for the scripture references, as always God's word is nourishment for my soul.