Sunday, August 28, 2011

..the righteous will live by his faith...Habakkuk 2:4

Back in February I posted about the first chapter in a book entitled Unexpected Wisdom. I have continued through this jewel of a book and would like to share some of the other chapters.

Habakkuk - Don't Fear the Dark was the title of the chapter and it was a great writing of encouragement and new insight. I love the word "journey". The author reminded me the faith I brought into my conversion is the same faith I need all through the journey of my life. It is a process. He also mentions that we rarely grow in a 5-star hotel, it is with challenge(darkness) that we move along.

"though now for a short time you have had to be distressed by various trials so that the genuineness of your faith —more valuable than gold, which perishes though refined by fire —may result in praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." I Peter 1:7

I want to learn that darkness does not last forever. A lie that satan wants to tell us all. I have always told the girls that God doesn't play hide and seek in the sense that it is a game to harm us, to irritate us but there are times that God just doesn't speak. He has His own timing and when Habakkuk doesn't hear from God it presents darkness. When he finally does hear from God it isn't what Habakkuk wants to hear.

This week, I caught myself asking for something to go smooth and easy. I think that is fine, but isn't it just like us to want it to be smooth and easy? I also want to grow into who God wants me to be. That means I need experiences that show that my faith will stand firm. I look at a situation and see only a small piece. God is seeing the whole picture and so I need to realize as darkness comes my perspective needs to change. What is God trying to accomplish when I get into a situation that I don't like, that I don't feel safe in? Dying to self is part of the darkness, realizing I must trust!

I love the picture of Habakkuk 2:1 "I will stand on my guard post and station myself on the rampart; and I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me..." How could a book that only has three chapters (Habakkuk) be so good? It gets better and better. The author says something that is important for us to all remember as we walk in darkness and stumble. These difficulties are not ignored but neither are they what shape our lives. "That influence is reserved for God"

Part of our worship is the process of walking through darkness and calling out, waiting and listening to God. We know He is real and we will not let the world convince us otherwise!



No comments: