Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Traveling Together


I'm enjoying the Stepping Up, a Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent study authored by Beth Moore. It is being offered by the Abundant Life Program at ACU. We meet on campus at noontime on Thurs. This makes it easy for staff and professors to take their lunch break and come study God's Word. Each week we either watch the video or meet in small groups. The small groups are guided by a facilitator who talks a bit and then guides each group to talk a few minutes about a certain question and then we move on. I have really enjoyed the class. My observation is that the class isn't so much for me to meet others, although I have met some. The main attraction is God's Word and the work He wants to do in my life. It has been a fun study, and today a thought has stayed with me.

"Group travel was the core of ancient pilgrimage. Traveling alone was practically unheard of." , pg.97, Stepping Up. This thought has me thinking about how important our home congregation, our community of believers, are in our daily life. Who are you traveling with?

My mom and dad were wonderful travel partners for me growing up. They were encouraging in areas that helped me build confidence. My mom introduced Jesus to me, and my dad was constantly winking at me from across the room. I have felt love from the very beginning, and as I have grown older this teaching and love has made it easier for me to understand, seek and accept God's undying love for me. I have also had other travelers, Daniel, my partner in life for almost 30 yrs. (Aug. 18th will be 30 years) My love language is acts of service, and believe you me, Daniel has it down!! He really has the love stuff down so much better than I do.

My children had been travelers with me, and boy have I and do I learn from them. There have been humbling times and stretching times. All to the glory of God. I watch Hannah's determination to get through graduate school. She definitely will be able to relate to one of the Psalms of Ascent, Ps. 128:2 "You will surely eat what your hands have worked for. You will be happy and it will go well for you." Alison's tough and flexible attitude that Bob D, an elder at the A&M church of Christ talks about is deep down in her soul. She teaches me as she lives out the Psalms of Ascent, Ps. 124:1 "If the Lord had not been on our side - let Israel say...". I love the Message version, "If God hadn't been for us - all together now, Israel, sing out!"

There have been many others in College Station and now in Abilene that God will provide to "travel with me". Tell me who is walking along side you and who are you walking along side?? Travel in groups!!

1 comment:

The Driskells said...

Great reminder! And even though our "travel" time was short together, I feel very connected to you. I enjoy all you have to share and teach others while at the same time you humbly continue to learn and grow. Thank you for being a friend!